Monday, September 14, 2009

Morocco in a Nutshell


One of Morocco's favorite activities, family outings on scooters. Safety is not a great concern of these people.

"Helmet? Yes we have a helmet. We are supposed to wear it? Oh, I thought it was a handlebar decoration."


During my time in Morocco I kept a list of impressions that came upon me in the spur of the moment. This is taken straight from my notebook, slightly edited to make more sense than my random scrawling, not chronological at all:

Trash-everywhere-beach-mosque-sahara dunes-everywhere
smelly-like camel leather fish piss
half the people are named muhammad, and they all have something to sell
cats, lots of cats
flies, all over
every little village has a mosque
many of the women come with mustaches
lots of young kids selling things, geodes, Kleenex, cookies
tagine pots everywhere
$h!ts-the whole time with the $h!ts
dinner-tagine or couscous, your choice
breakfast-bread & cheese, orange juice & coffee
favorite pastime is sitting in the sun or shade and hitch hiking, everywhere
a picture of the king in every room/store
maximum price! No problem my friend
a donkey cart is somehow always behind you pushing you out of the way
no whistling (inside!)
the people are very nice, but also very aware whites have money.