Monday, September 14, 2009

Romania

Romania impressed me greatly. It was the first Eastern European country that i have been to. I got to see my first communist block apartment, my first real live gypsies camping b the roadside in their ornately decorated horse-drawn carts, and my first cripplingly-close-minded Orthodox monks.

Ion, the relative of a parishioner at my father's church, drove, interpreted, ordered and took very good care of us for an entire week while we walked and hiked and talked our way through the Romanian countryside. He was a great guy to have along for an authentic Romanian perspective and I am very grateful that he stayed with us for the entire wee, we really couldn't have done it without him.


Arc de Triumphe in Bucharest


Silhouettes at the Village Museum in Bucharest


Reflecting on Bucharest


Sam regarding the thatch-work


Spring in the Village Museum


Ion with a large cask of bitter


The Bucharest Parliament Building


Strolling the streets of Bucharest


At the Patriarchate

My absolute favorite part about Romania was the clouds. Throughout the entire week we were gifted with great looking clouds. The Romanian skies were always covered with some sort of cloud, big and fluffy, small and wispy, gray and full of rain, light streaming in around, color dancing off of, and the wind pushing and pulling them in different directions. In the pictures below take a peak at the sky and notice how consistently wonderful it is.


Tiny chapel on a hill with the first of many beautiful Romanian Cloudscapes


The muddy dirt road leading to an Orphanage-like Village. The village would take in single mothers and/or abandoned children and provide them with an education and a place to stay.


Building new houses in the village


Ion, walking and pondering


Deep thinker


A view from above


Sunlight streaming down


Behind the scenes


Pops with the pigs


Two children of the village


Romanian Cloudscape


Full Romanian breakfast in Sinaia


The Monastery in Sinaia


The Royal family's Palace in Sinaia


Statues in the Garden

Ion scored us some polinka, ridiculously strong, paint-melting, shudder inducing, Romanian liqour, near the top of a very very tall mountain while we huddled together sheltered from the high winds. Shortly thereafter I saw Ion slip on a huge patch of mud and then try to wash himself off in the snow.


Ion on top of the mountain


Level with the clouds


Pops in the clouds


Ion, regarding the fate of a few less fortunate adventurers


Ion, post unlucky mudslide slip-up, attempting a snow-bath


Which way? Ion and I took the road less traveled


Sunset cloudscape in Sinaia


Very soft and lovely


Waterfall en route to a monastery built into the rocks


Built straight into the rock


A hilltop proclamation of faith


Can you spot my head? I'm rock climbing!


There I am


Focus


Boys love throwing rocks and making big splashes


Pops, waiting....


Dracula's Castle in Bran


By nighttime


Ion the next morning at the entrance to Dracula's Castle


Dracula's Rooftop


Beware, Dracula's Castle is quite Scari!


Some more minor rock climbing


A cross, overlooking Transylvania


Pops watch out! Please please don't step OVER the grass, anything but that!


Mossy roof, Dracula's Castle


Transylvania Green


A couple of bickering women


Snow capped Transylvania Mountains


The intersection of George and Suzanne, that's me!


Raindrops on Lake Rosu


Pops posing before Lake Rosu


Through the windshield


In the side-view, great clouds again!


Out the front, a potent downpour


Loitering roadblocking cow


Yet another cloudscape


And an approaching storm

Petro Voda, I will never forget you and your racist monks.
At Petro Voda, a monastery in the North-Eastish of Romania
I remember getting the incredible privilidge of visiting an old holy monk who had been imprisoned by the communists. With the help of an interpreter the conversation went something like this:

Dad - “We are from America.”

Monk - “Technology is not our savior.”

Dad – “We are from the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese.”

Monk – “God loves us all.”

Dad – “….”

Monk – “The Jews are everywhere.”

Dad – “….um…thank you for the blessing father.”

Monk – “Aufwerdersen!”

It was a very uncomfortable meeting for me. In the father’s defense he is in his nineties and has been through a lot. Still….

At the same monastery, where they were passing out leaflets warning against the implementation of metal chips in ID cards as a sign of the Antichrist, a book of mine found an unusual fate. I was reading “The Pilgrimage” by Paulo Cuelo, author of “The Alchemist,” telling of his experience hiking the Camino de Santiago in Northern Spain. Some monks that I was eating lunch with inquired about the book and picked it up and showed it around and then went back into the kitchen with it. I didn’t think too much of this and so when I finished eating I inquired the whereabouts of my book only to be told, “Don’t worry about it, let’s go.” I was rather enjoying the book and was, despite their efforts, now slightly worried about it. I walked back into the kitchen and asked the monk there where it was. He told me that it was gone. I refused to believe this and asked him again. “It is gone,” he told me again. I asked again where it was and he walked over to the fireplace stove and opened it up to show me a pile of ashes. “It is gone.” A shy monk, apparently peeved by this dishonest monk opened up the back of the stove and pulled out a very hot to the touch ash covered but so far undamaged book. I breathed a sigh of relief, grabbed the book and gave the first monk a dirty look and turned to leave. “This is a bad book,” he told me. “It is full of magic and bad things, you should be reading the Bible, the Bible is the only thing you need to read.” I told him that the main character is staying at Christian monasteries along his pilgrimage. “Yes, Catholic monasteries, right?” Yes, I told him, Catholic monasteries, Catholics ARE Christians too. “No, they say that they are but they worship a different God.” I told him I didn’t agree with this and that Orthodoxy was not the only right way. “Yes it is. Do you know what Orthodoxy means?” Yes, I said, thinking of the definition that I had heard long ago, Orthodoxy means traditional. He laughed. I did not like this. “No, Orthodoxy literally means ‘the right way.’ So it is the ONE way.” Oh ya? I said, well then can I call you Hitler because you are burning books and hate Jews? (I didn’t actually say that but I would have loved to.) After the monk gave the “Orthodoxy=Right Way” logic as divine proof that he has found truth I decided that he wasn’t going to be reasoned with and just let it go. I took my book, grateful just to have it in one piece and walked out of there. He followed me and continued to tell me that I was wrong and that orthodoxy was right. What an interesting method of evangelizing.

I understand that this was an isolated incident at a very fundamental monastery. I hold nothing against Orthodoxy or their monks, just that guy who found it appropriate to burn a book and hate Jewish people. Two strikes buddy, be careful!


The hilltop shack outside of Petro Voda


Closer...


And closer still


Pops in the misty morning


Fr. George the Shepherd


Just a new friend that we made on our morning hike


Another friend


Giving her a piggy-back ride


Radical Romanian Cloudscape


Beautiful Romanian Skies


Clouds with my favorite shack in the world


And again


Painted Church at Petro Voda


A siege


Some brutal depictions


A sunset hike beginning in a churchyard cemetery


There was a wonderful fresh post-rain smell in the air


The hills are alive with the sound of Ion


The group of trees which became our destination


Inside the trees


Silhouette of Pops in the trees


Incredible Romanian Sunset Cloudscape Extravaganza Complete with Distant Rain Shower, Mountaintops, Sweeping Hills, Open Pastures, Tiny Villages, and Good Company


Goodbye Sun


Cluj-Napoca Orthodox Church


Irises in the Cluj Botanical Gardens


Blossoms in Cluj


Romanian Folk National Music

I remember bowling with Ion and his younger brother, fueled by wine, polinka, and beer, and then taking a cab ride across town for the garlickiest pizza of my life. I tasted it for the next two days.

Bowling in Bran, the home of Dracula, was much different yet sort of the same on the night of a full moon, glancing over my shoulder for werewolves, my imagination enhance by polinka.


My memory of the best pizza in Cluj



The Communist block apartments of Cluj