Monday, September 14, 2009

California baby!

I took an impromptu trip to California in July to visit my Grandfather before he passed away. It was a complete blessing to be at his home with almost all of his living relatives, including my sister's children from the East Coast, when he died on July 20th. He was a truly extraordinary man who was a very gifted scientist and a warm loving Grandfather. He taught me how to play chess and draw and always made time for us grandchildren on weekends. The last words that he said to me were "Have fun," referring to a trip up to Lake Tahoe with my brother. He will live on fondly in my memory.


With nephew Alex


And niece Katherine!

I was lucky enough to catch a ride down to Santa Cruz with my sister Lauren and visit with some old friends. Good Times!


At Natural Bridges beach in Santa Cruz


Katherine's first time in the Pacific Ocean


Think she liked it?


With the nephew


Exploring


Mmmmm...eating sand


That diaper must have been a treat


Bury me!

A few days later I celebrated my 23rd birthday with my brother David up in Lake Tahoe. We took our boat, the Night-Train, out for a memorable sunset sail. Thanks for another great birthday in Lake Tahoe Dave!


Brother Dave stand-up paddle boarding on Lake Tahoe


The Night-Train


Sunset over the lake from my brother's flat


The start of my birthday sunset cruise on the Night-Train, looking off the bow


Sunset cruise off the stern


Skipper Dave


Skipper and First-Mate


Sun is getting lower


The clown himself, check out the clouds


More and more color


An absolute explosion of color!


Dark water, great sky


Back inside the breakwater. What a great birthday present. Thanks Dave!